It's one of my favorite times of year here in the Triangle - strawberry picking time! My kids and I always look forward to getting out to one of the local pick-your-own farms (Buckwheat Farms is one of our favs) for buckets of fresh, delicious strawberries. If you're anything like us, you go a little overboard on the picking and come home with loads of these yummy red berries.
SO WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH ALL OF THESE STRAWBERRIES BEFORE THEY GO BAD?!
One of my favorite strawberry recipes is this yummy strawberry oat smoothie. It is quick and easy to make, packs an extra fiber boost thanks to the rolled oats, and is just plain, ol' delicious! Make this for a grab and go breakfast, an afternoon pick me up, or a special after-dinner treat. You can't go wrong with this one!
(Oh, and did I mention that it's healthy, too? But if you don't care about that stuff, feel free to use your favorite full-fat versions of the ingredients listed below.)
Fresh Strawberry Oat Smoothie
- 1/4 c. rolled oats
- 1/4 c. almond milk or skim milk
- 1/2 c. plain, nonfat greek yogurt
- 1/2 c. fresh strawberries, stems and cores removed
- 2 tsp. honey
- Add rolled oats to blender and blend until the oats are powderized. The oats give this smoothie extra fiber and make it more filling, but you don't want the smoothie to be chewy. This steps grinds the oats down so you don't even notice them.
- Pour remaining ingredients into blender and blend until smooth. Makes one serving. This recipe can be easily doubled or quadrupled.
SEE, WASN'T THAT SO EASY?!
Do you have any great strawberry recipes? Please share them in the comments.